When it comes to signing a rental agreement, it’s important to take your time and ensure that everything is in order before making a commitment. After all, this is where you will be living for the next several months or even years, and you want to be sure you’re making the right choice.
To help you make an informed decision, we’ve put together a list of things to check before signing a rental agreement.
1. Rent and deposit amount: Make sure you fully understand the rent and deposit amount, including any additional fees or charges. Ask questions to ensure there are no surprises down the road, and negotiate if necessary.
2. Lease term: Be sure to check the length of the lease term, including any renewal options or penalties for breaking the lease early.
3. Maintenance and repairs: Review the rental agreement to understand who is responsible for maintenance and repairs, and make sure you’re comfortable with the terms.
4. Rent increases: Look for any clauses that allow for rent increases during the lease term, and make sure you understand how much notice you’ll receive before any increase takes effect.
5. Landlord and tenant obligations: Review the rental agreement to understand what is expected of both you and the landlord, including any requirements for upkeep or cleaning.
6. Security deposit: Make sure you understand the terms of the security deposit, including when it will be returned to you and under what circumstances it may be withheld.
7. Utilities: Be sure you understand which utilities are included in the rent and which you are responsible for paying.
8. Pet policy: If you have pets, review the rental agreement to understand any restrictions or additional charges associated with keeping them in the rental unit.
9. Subleasing: Look for any clauses that prohibit subleasing, and make sure you’re comfortable with the restrictions.
10. Move-in and move-out procedures: Review the rental agreement to understand the process for moving in and out of the rental unit, including any requirements for cleaning or repairs.
By taking the time to review these items and ask any necessary questions, you can feel confident that you’re making an informed decision before signing a rental agreement. Good luck with your search!